Spitfire FR Mk XIVE
Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk XIVE MV268 JEJ
127 Wing, 2nd TAF, Gp Capt 'Johnnie' Johnson, OC Soltau, May 1945.
The first production Supermarine Spitfire to be fitted with the Rolls-Royce
Griffon engine - 35 litres to the Merlin's 27 - was the Spitfire
Mk XII. Based on the Spitfire
Mk V airframe, one hundred were built and equipped two squadrons, being
used to intercept Fw
190 fighter bombers and VI "flying bombs". The definitive
Griffon-powered fighter was the Spitfire Mk XIV, with the engine fitted
to a Spitfire Mk VIII airframe, and was introduced to service in increasing
numbers towards the end of the war; in particular it was employed by the
Second Tactical Air Force as the conflict spread in to Germany itself. MV268
was built at by Supermarine at Eastleigh, joining the RAF on 4 January 1945
and being issued to 130 Squadron, from whom it must have been abstracted
by the Wing Leader; it also served with Canadian squadrons 401 and 411.
Although he scored no victories in this aircraft "Johnnie" Johnson
was the highest-scoring RAF pilot at the end of the war, and as Wing Leader
was entitled to mark "his" aircraft with his own initials rather
than a unit code. The aircraft remained in Germany as part of the British
Air Forces of Occupation, but made a forced landing at Celle in March 1946.
Scale 1:72 Wingspan 5.5.43" (138 mm)
Base size 6.37" (162 mm) square (No. 4)
Weight not including base 7.25 ozs (208 grams)