North American P-51B Mustang VF-B 43-6895
Col James A 'Goody' Goodson, 336th F.S., 4th F.G., 1944.
The legend that we know today as the Mustang did not begin with a very
auspicious start. Initially fitted with the Alison engine, it was not
until October 1942 with the installation of the Rolls-Royce Merlin 61
as fitted to the Spitfire and Hurricane that the outstanding performance
of the aircraft was to show through.
Fitted with four 0.50" calibre Browning machine
guns and able to carry either long range tanks or bombs under the wing
the P-51B Mustang was as at home whether it was in a fighter escort
role or in ground attack mode.
It was in ground attack as a straffer that Col James Goodson was to
excell, recording a total of fifteen kills in the Mustang while he served
with the 336th Fighter Squadron as part of the 4th Fighter Group.
The P-51 like so many aircraft of World War II would continue to evolve
with aircraft being retofitted with a blown canopy known as the 'Malcolm
Hood' to improve pilot visibilty, before its most famous incarnation
as the P-51D.
VF-B was fitted with the original fold down canopy and bares Goodsons scoreboard
and the noseart of an eagle flying infront of a USAAF cockade. The white
stripes painted on the wings and horizontal stabilisers are identification
markings to prevent confussion with axis aircraft such as the Fw
190 with which it shared a similar wing shape.
Scale 1:72 Wingspan 6.17" (156 mm)
Base size 6.37"(162 mm) square (No. 4)
Weight not including base 8.55 ozs (247 grams)
Total number of models produced 52